Katie: Since I’m on my own for meals this week, I decided to take the opportunity to try a few new recipes. It was chilly here today, so I decided to make some soup. I found this recipe for Roasted Garlic and Beet Soup from Martha Stewart. It took awhile to roast the beets, but otherwise this soup was really simple to make. I forgot to add the lemon juice, but it still tasted great. I ate it with a dollop of ricotta, which was the perfect accompaniment!
Roasted Garlic and Beet Soup (slightly adapted from Whole Living)
- 3 medium beets
- olive oil
- 6 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle beets with olive oil and roast in parchment-lined foil for 1 hour or until tender. Drizzle the garlic cloves with oil (I roasted a whole head), wrap in foil, and roast for 30-40 minutes. Unwrap beets, let cool, peel, and quarter. (Be careful not to get the juice on your clothes!) Squeeze garlic from skin. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the leek and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add beets and garlic, the herbs, the bay leaf, and 3 cups water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Let the soup cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and puree. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Serve with ricotta cheese or sour cream, as desired.
To go with my soup, I decided to use some leftover salmon in quesadillas. I followed this recipe for Salmon and Kale Quesadillas, which turned out great! If I made them again, I might try added other spices or some tomatoes, but I really enjoyed this combination of flavors.