Katie: This weekend, I was confronted with something I hadn’t experienced in a long time: having to cook only for myself. While I always like the feeling of being able to cook for others and share a meal, I decided to use this as an opportunity to make something different that others might not appreciate as much as me!
I went to the farmers’ market on Saturday morning, which was filled with stands of fresh, locally-grown produce. I chose some beets, which looked really good. Since I had a leftover tortilla at home, I decided to make a wrap, adapted from this recipe for Beet and Greens Quesadillas. I really liked the combination of vegetables and spices, and the feta cheese was the perfect addition! I even had enough filling left over to use for another meal.
Beets and Greens Wrap
makes 2 wraps
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium-size onion, sliced thinly
- 1 unpeeled beet, sliced very thinly
- 2-3 Tbsp. water
- 1 bunch of beet greens, chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tortillas
- a handful of feta cheese
1. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet at medium-high heat. Add the onion and beet, and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the water, greens, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt, and stir until the ingredients are well distributed. Add a little more water if necessary. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and all the water has evaporated.
3. Warm the tortillas in the microwave for about 15 seconds and top with the vegetable filling. Sprinkle with feta cheese, roll up, and serve. Enjoy!