Matthew: I was invited to a 4th of July on cookout on Friday and needed to think of something to bring. I remembered having a really good dessert made by one of my coworkers, Beth, so I asked her for the recipe. When she made it, she decorated the top with fruit to spell out our company name…it was delicious and very impressive! I decided to make it into an American flag with strawberries and blueberries. It turned out really well, although my cookie sheet was probably too small. Next time, I would use a larger one or cut the cookie recipe by 1/3 or so. Here’s the recipe (original recipe did include a glaze, but I left that out):
1 c. sugar
1 c. powdered sugar
2 c. shortening (yay, fat!)
3/4 t. vanilla
1 egg, beaten
4 c. cake flour
3/4 t. baking soda
3/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 8 oz. container cool whip, thawed.
1 tsp. vanilla
Assorted fruits of your choosing!
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In large bowl, cream together sugars and shortening – mix on low for 30 seconds, then increase to med-high for 3 minutes
3. Blend in vanilla and egg.
4. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
5. Gradually add dry ingredients to sugar mixture until just blended. DO NOT overmix.
6. Press dough into an ungreased cookie sheet. Prick all over with tines of fork and bake 9-10 minutes until small cracks appear and they are golden.
7. Allow crust to cool completely in pan, then move to serving tray if not keeping it on the cookie sheet.
1. Beat cream cheese and vanilla with mixer. Add in cool whip and blend on low.
1. Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled crust.
2. Top with assorted sliced fruits in a pattern of your choosing!
And, I decided to make a video with this recipe which you can watch here: